Forums
WhiteTrinityWitch :: Forums :: Religions & Faiths :: Druidic Paganism.

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Druid v Wiccan a hands on viewpoint
Moderators: Trinity, OnyxRaven, Fox
Author Post
sweet.charlotte
Sat Mar 28 2009, 05:50PM
Registered Member #310
OK …this forum is of special interest to me as my girlfriend is a devout Druid of the old Celtic [right] ancient Irish and welsh nature based theology and I am a feminist [left] follower of Isis and Dianic Wiccan astral based path.
As most Pagans follow a path somewhere between the two I thought it might be interesting to detail our specific differences and common ground rather than the normal generalisations with apologies that are needed when you are trying to give general information about a path without upsetting any one.
I don’t want to gate crash the forum or bore the knickers off anyone and I am quite used to being told to shut up and behave ,so please give me some feed back if you want me to or not.

The Maiden has returned to the Forrest of the Black Roses and is no longer active on the site and PMs or posts will not be replied to ~ May the Goddess protect you and your life be as your most perfect dream
Website
Mastema
Mon Mar 30 2009, 10:13PM

Registered Member #397
Sweet.charlotte has been called away to a family meeting in Rumania and is unlikely to be active on the site for the next two weeks or so. In her absence she has asked me to continue her thread of Wiccan v Druid .The following post is a collaboration of Charlotte ,Myself, two Druids, three wiccans and a *Daughter of Satan*

Instead of specifics We list a few inoffensive, some humorous, sweeping and subjective generalisations of the differences between the Wiccan and Druid paths in the hope of getting some FRIENDLY debate going, the sexual and sacrificial elements have been omitted in deference to the culture of WTW. If you’re insulted I humbly apologise if you smile please tell me.
If you think I am wrong or right or missed something or simply would like clarification please post a reply or if your shy PM me, lets get some FRIENDLY dialog going .

There are as many different types of Druid as there are Wiccans
Both use similar ritual, tools, protective circles, runes, candles, gemstones, tarot and herbs
Both wiccans and Druids deny the existence of Satan and of Jesus Christ as the son of the Jewish God
Both believe there is no black or white magic just magic
Druids celebrate every sunrise and the solstices
Wiccans celebrate 8 festivals and each new moon
Druids believe that Wiccan is a new religion based on a mix of Ancient religions and modern folk law
Wiccans believe that Druidism is an ancient religion revitalised by adapting to modern folk law
Druids look to the sun and welcome its warmth as the giver of life to nature.
Wiccans look to the moon as the symbol of the goddess of creation and all things
Druids believe in reincarnation and that nothing dies but is born again in differing forms
Wiccans believe they can talk to the spirits of the dead
Druids believe in nature itself as one or many gods acting out ongoing renewal of life
Wiccans believe in Diana as dual deity acting out birth and death through an annual cycle
Druids meet at ancient stone hillocks dressed in hooded robes and chant and sing at sunrise and drink lots of cider
Wiccans dance naked round a bonfire in the middle of the forest in the moonlight and drink lots of herb tea
Druids believe all things are in balance and try to understand rather than change
Wiccans strive to create balance where they believe it is not present
Druids do not have a definitive guide book or bible and often use a Book of Days for there thoughts
Wiccans use Aradia or Gardner’s Book of Shadows as a guide and use their own Book of Shadows to record personal thoughts.
Druids do not have familiars or spirit guides but talk to trees and plants
Wiccans talk to their familiars and spirit guides and chop down trees [joke] for bonfires to dance naked round
Your own list in similar format is most welcome
Bless you all

Kindly note posts or PMs will not be replied to, as I am no longer active on the site
Bless you all
Ankaru
Tue Jun 02 2009, 06:53PM
Happy beyond belief

Registered Member #474
*Druids meet at ancient stone hillocks dressed in hooded robes and chant and sing at sunrise and drink lots of cider
*Druids do not have familiars or spirit guides but talk to trees and plants

Okay, these two quotes are mostly wrong. The first one is only true for the actual orders, such as the Order of Bards, Druids, and Ovates. Modern druids meet just like normal people and talk about druid stuff(I'm not going into detail).

The second one is not true at all. Druids have spirit guides too. I have recently found a dryad that has taken a liking to me apparently, cause it won't leave me alone. Not that that's a bad thing. And we don't talk to trees, but Mother Nature in all her majesty. Besides, I talk to animals, not plants. Plants don't talk back, at least right away.
Website
Mastema
Tue Jun 02 2009, 09:37PM

Registered Member #397
Hail Ankaru thank you so much for your view and clearing up the misconceptions in the List. It was compiled with the help of various paths including two young British female Communal Druids who obviously are not lucky enough to have had your experiences with the Earth Mothers Dryads. Its aim was a light hearted provocation to get others to contribute and I am glad it seems to have worked.
B.B. Raymond

Kindly note posts or PMs will not be replied to, as I am no longer active on the site
Bless you all
Ankaru
Wed Jun 03 2009, 12:39AM
Happy beyond belief

Registered Member #474
Oh, I forgot to mention this, but at least the druids I know celebrate the eight festivals, such as Beltane and the other holidays(I can't remember what they are at the moment). I don't have the time to do any gatherings, so I go solo for the most part.
Website
Akasa
Sat Jan 16 2010, 09:23PM
Registered Member #267
I know, long time since I've been on here... am trying to catch up!
INteresting thread.
I'd agree with what Ankaru has said and also point out I know loads of druids (including myself) who celebrate the moon cycle as well as the sun's path...
Thadius
Wed Apr 25 2012, 06:50PM

Registered Member #1152
Speak for yourself! I talk to trees!

As a druid I observe the 8 holidays of the wheel, commune with the horned god and often find myself talking to tree's. I never break a branch for a wand or anything else without asking the tree first and waiting for a gut feeling of 'yes, here have the gift.' I do agree about spirit guides, I have an animal guide.
Fox
Wed Apr 25 2012, 08:39PM
Fox

Registered Member #416
Talking to Trees can be very good for stress, or is that hugging Trees, doesn't matter do both

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. People deal too much with the negative, with what is wrong. Why not try and see positive things, to just touch those things and make them bloom?
Thadius
Thu Apr 26 2012, 07:13PM

Registered Member #1152
Tree's need hugs but you have to watch out for their bark!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF